I have a timer thread setup to play a loop using soundpool, but for
some reason  I cannot get  _soundPool.stop(_playbackTimer); to stop
the loop. even if I exit the application the loop keeps running. I
have to physically power off the phone to get it to stop. am I missing
something here? Does anyone have any experience with this? I have
searched with no resolution. below is a snippet.

if(timeLeft>0 && timeLeft<20 && ticking == false){
                _soundPool.play(_playbackTimer, 0.3f, 0.3f, 0, -1, 1);
                ticking=true;
        }

        if(timeLeft==0 || timeLeft>20){
                _soundPool.stop(_playbackTimer);