Sorry for not being very clear.

Yes, by native homescreen I mean the same as when user presses home
button.

I don't see a difference in behavior between using ACTION_VIEW AND
ACTION_DIAL wrt to the back key press behavior - I still am taken back
to native homescreen instead of my app (when I press the back key from
native dialer)

There difference with using ACTION_VIEW with a number and ACTION_VIEW
without a number. The difference being, in the second case  I get
taken to the native dialer overlayed by the dialog asking me to
'Complete action using'.

I'm testing on Nexus one and HTC incredible.