I'm looking for a way to protect video and audio content (around 2GB) from being copied / played on other devices than the one where the app has initially been bought and installed on.

What's currently the best approach? I try to research on the web but can hardly find any up-to-date information on this topic for Android.

I looked into the (controversial) OMA DRM, can hardly find any information on how to implement DRM management on Android, the Android docs give no information on that. I also looked at third party vendors and found around 2-3 (i.e. Mutable Inc., Discretix and Irdeto), I emailed them for further information but haven't heard back from any. It also seems that they're products/offerings are already outdated or not further supported, at least some websites aren't updated since 2007 (Mutable Inc.). Then there's an open source lib, OpenIPMP (http://sourceforge.net/projects/openipmp/) by Mutable Inc., but it also seems to been last updated in 2006.

Interestingly I found on http://android.git.kernel.org/?p=platform/frameworks/base.git;a=commit;h=d074e30ce44b9e33da43b67a4515b8986ca72b26 the following notice:

-- snip --
Initial contribution from Sony Corporation.

  Add DRM Framework to support DRM content playback
  together with StageFright.

  - DRM Framework code is added
     - include/drm
     - drm
  - api/current.xml is updated to include DRM Framework Java APIs
  - cmds/servicemanager/service_manager.c is modified
    to add drmManager and drmIOService.

-- snap --

Is DRM implemented differently for StageFright and OpenCore - or does only one of those Framework support it? I found some DRM related classes in the developer docs, but not enough information to fully get the big picture.

Many others ask similar question, nobody seems to know details.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3462037/what-is-the-situation-with-android-support-for-oma-drm
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2524304/how-to-implement-oma-forward-lock-on-android
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2509688/oma-dm-features-supported-in-android-apis

Some background on what I need:

Our Android application holds ~ 2 GB of audio/video content which the user pays for and downloads.
We now need to implement a way to secure the content from being copied.

Here are some information what we need/have:
- Android 2.x application
- playing video/audio (i.e. mp4, but any Android supported format will do)
- data is around 2GB (containing of many small files)
- users/target group is in Mainland China only (for the moment)
- for the user it's a one-time purchase, means he purchases all 2GB files at once (not per single file) - the media files are played back in our Android app with our implemented media player (http://developer.android.com/reference/android/media/MediaPlayer.html) or VideoView (http://developer.android.com/reference/android/widget/VideoView.html)