I went through this a couple of months back with our server where we
had the same script sometimes provide a content-length, other times
the length was -1

AFAIK, -1 is a valid response when the server can't determine the
length.

In researching the issue, we found our solution was in the server
output headers - much like Bob suggested

We changed the output headers on those problematic scripts

from Header('Content-Type: text/html');

to Header('Content-Type: text/html charset=UTF-8');

adding the charset encoding made all the difference - "who'd've thunk
it"

YMMV of course since you are doing ZIP files, but it's something to
check.