Mark,

Yes, what I am doing is first and foremost for my own benefit and not
a financial one... I've not decided whether to put this out as a free
download in the app store yet. I have something working now and it's
been a satisfying puzzle to crack. I gather that this approach might
be used to provide tethering on 2.2 devices that don't have the
capability enabled by the carrier.

Personally I'd rather Google bundle a widget if they're not yet
willing to make the API public. I find myself frequently needing to
turn the AP on for a few minutes before turning it off again on client
premises.

Phil.