I'm also wondering what devices / scenarios it's for.

Android Market on mobile devices uses actual screen-size screenshots for application details view, and there is not enough room for such large icons in the application list view.

Perhaps it's for Google TV or for desktop-oriented Market?

Hopefully there is an explanation coming soon enough.

-- Kostya