I've been working on a commercial distribution of all major "standard"
applications based on the previous Android release.

I want to do things like filter incoming calls, sms's and only let
them through to the user if he's in an environment where he wants to
see them based on his own criteria (I'm in a meeting, and I don't like
private people to disturb me, but still want to see incoming calls
from work colleagues).

Or I'm with "Suzanne" and if Suzanne checks my phone I don't want her
to see messages from "Melany, or recent calls to melany... A sort of
Private / Public switch that filters existing content, call logs,
already received and sent sms messages, and block incoming calls or
messages from contacts "not" part of this private profile, whereas
public information should be accessible.

I've got this working with a new version of contacts, messaging, logs
etc. But all of these don't work on the new SDK 1.0.I was silly enough
to trust google that ALL applications are equal and that I could
actually "replace" any default application with my own (of course by
keeping interfaces, profiders similar in order to respect the
interactions with other "default" applications.

this today is all not true anymore, and Android is NOT the open
platform as was once advertised. Not only can you not replace core
applications (which is still advertised on the android deveoper site -
shame on them) but the api has changed in a way that all the
"interesting" stuff, like the Telephony hooks etc are not anymore
available to third-party applications.

I am very disappointed because I spent a lot of time developing stuff
that I can through away now.

By the way, I have literally thrown my t-mobile g1 (which I imported
form the states) out of the window today (3rd floor),

that's what happens if you put trust in the open-source community.

At least with Microsoft or Apple, you know what you can and cannot do,
you take it or leave it, but you don't get screwed.

All you people who read this, go somewhere else, and don't waste your
time and money on Android. It's dead before it ever came to life...

Sad sad sad....