We are providing an Android Service to multiple customers for
packaging into their .apks and need to ensure that only a single
instance of our Service is running at a time.  The ideal situation
would be this:

When one of our customers's apps is installed on a device, it looks
for instances of our Service. If our service is not present, our
customer's app would install our Service.  If our Service was present,
the customer's app would use the existing Service.  If the currently
installed Service was an older version, our customer's app would
upgrade the current Service with the newer one.

We are pursuing a Shared Library solution, but this introduces many
extra issues: access to resources, declaration of our Services in the
customer manifest, ....  Instead, we prefer to provide our customers
with an .apk that would be optionally installed.

Has anyone tried to do anything similar?