No, app widgets get placed onto the home screen. Please read:
http://developer.android.com/guide/topics/appwidgets

What I meant in my first response was, you can't dynamically change
your app's launcher icon. That's an iOS trick. Android has other
patterns for delivering that sort of information to the user... like
notifications and app widgets.

To put it another way, iOS users expect "badges" on their icons
because that's the established pattern of the OS. Android users don't;
they expect notifications, or to add an app widget for status updates.
Even if you found some way to "badge" an Android icon, many users
wouldn't understand / know what to do with it.

String