Hi all,

Basically, I want to set a repeating background on a given ImageView
when loading an image from network. Easy stuff to do. But I'm facing a
strange problem using a dedicated drawable with tileMode set to
repeat. Actually, sometimes the source image is correctly repeated,
sometimes it's not, which obviously makes the background very ugly
cause the source image is stretched. The problem occurs randomly (on
both emulator and G1). I'm using the following XML (background.xml) to
define my repeating background:

<bitmap xmlns:android="http://schemas.android.com/apk/res/android";
        android:src="@drawable/back"
        android:tileMode="repeat">
</bitmap>

and I use it this way:

<ImageView
        android:id="@+id/header_image"
        android:layout_width="fill_parent"
        android:layout_height="@dimen/header_image_height"
        android:background="@drawable/background">
</ImageView>

This works perfectly... sometimes. Of course, I can do the same thing
using that code:

Bitmap mBackBitmap = BitmapFactory.decodeResource(getResources(),
R.drawable.back);
BitmapDrawable mBackgroundDrawable = new
BitmapDrawable(getResources(), mBackBitmap);
mBackgroundDrawable.setTileModeXY(Shader.TileMode.REPEAT,
Shader.TileMode.REPEAT);
mHeaderImage.setBackgroundDrawable(mBackgroundDrawable);

This works very well... always! ^_^ But it sounds a little bit dumb to
do it myself through code: it seems easier to maintain it from XML and
this background is used in so many layouts in my application.

Has anyone already faced this problem? Am I missing something? Any
guess is welcome. Thanks.

Vince