On Sat, Nov 27, 2010 at 6:40 PM, Zsolt Vasvari <zvasv...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Is that I am describing the reality?

I think so.

> If so, is there a way around it?

I don't think so. Unless you did something extreme and had a second app that
listened for your main package being installed and called it to start it up.
But then you'd have to tell your users to get that app too.

> If not, I see this a very big problem as my app is not something everybody
> may use every day and combined with the automatic updates facility of the
> market, there is a very real possibility that important financial processing
> will not take place.

Yeah, but I think it's by design. Based on other posts I've seen, the
platform designers don't want apps to "autorun" on installation - it has to
be a conscious decision by the user to elect to run the app. Your case may
be valid, but this could be something that's easily abused by other apps.

I think the best thing you can do is educate your users that updating
requires starting the app to ensure it continues to work as intended. Not
ideal, I know, but that's the way it is right now. At least now you have a
change list area to put this in big, capital letters.