I have worked my way through an Android book and a half, some of the
online documentation, and have an understanding of Java (although I
use it seldom because it is so verbose) - but am STILL having trouble
getting my head around this stuff.

What I would like to know is:
How does Android start up an application? Does it:
 A.  Fire up the java code with the same name as the project and then
'filters' activities etc through the Manifest to see if they are
allowed.
 B.  Looks at the manifest and then (somehow) decides what java
program to start, allowing only those activities etc defined (somehow)
in the Manifest.
OR
 C. Something totally different and automagical and I obviously do not
yet have a clue.

Gus