Dear All,

I have just discovered that the Android Market limits apps to a
maximum size of 25 MB.  Is that really true?

My most popular iPhone apps are 68 MB, 180 MB and 318 MB
respectively.  Although I have one of them ported now, I can't sell it
in its current form.

So my options are probably:
- Substantially strip down the content in the Android versions.
- Distribute the app not via the Market.
- Download the data when the app first runs.
- Wait and see if this size limit is changed (*).

Only the third option seems sane.  I do have server infrastructure
that could be used; the main challenge is the required code.  The apps
currently consist almost entirely of C++ OpenGL with a very minimal
Java wrapper (literally one page).  If I download from C++ I need to
write an OpenGL GUI to display while it happens.  If I download from
Java, well, I need to learn about 20 times more Java than I know right
now; in either case, I need to learn a whole load of stuff about the
filesystem layout.

So I'm hoping that someone can either suggest a work-around, or
perhaps point me to some nice example code that accomplishes this, or
maybe would even offer to do it for me ($!)....

(*) I mention the possibility that it might change because (a) there
is now the "install to SD" option in 2.2, and (b) there do seem to be
changes afoot in the market.  It would be great to get some feedback
about that, but presumably it is secret.

Thanks,  Phil.