Man thanks a lot.
When i changed the android:layout_height to wrap_content it started showing
some white stuff.
Then i changed the manifest file as you suggested and then i could get the
google map working in place of white space.
I guess it shows white space when the application can not access internet.

Thanks again
Abhishek :)