Specifically for WiFi, hold a WiFi lock:

http://developer.android.com/reference/android/net/wifi/WifiManager.WifiLock.html

Most likely, though, your device is going to sleep, which causes WiFi to be disabled after a certain time. To keep the device awake, hold a WakeLock:

http://developer.android.com/reference/android/os/PowerManager.WakeLock.html

-- Kostya