You'll probably want some sort of PUSH notification.  If you are
targeting 2.0+ you might want to take a look at
http://code.google.com/android/c2dm/index.html.
If you're targeting anything before that you'll have to roll your own.
 Probably using a service that either polls the server, or which keeps
a socket connection open to your server and listens for any messages.
AFIK, this shouldn't waste battery because the radio is only turned
on/active when there is data present.

On Sat, Dec 4, 2010 at 6:15 AM, RichardP <rperr...@parishepiscopal.org> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I apologize if this is not the right place to place this question, but
> have a question regarding the playing of a sound file from a change in
> a database entry.
>
> I would like to have a sound file play whenever data changes in a
> mysql database. I can do the php part where it detects the changes
> from the database, but how do I then get my app to detect that change
> and play a sound file that is within the app?
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks!

~ Jeremiah:9:23-24
Android 2D MMORPG: http://developingthedream.blogspot.com/,