Recently, the W3C has been working on a geolocation API for web
browsers:

  http://dev.w3.org/geo/api/spec-source.html

WebKit's trunk has preliminary support for this new Geolocation API.
You can see the capability in the WebKit source tree:

   http://trac.webkit.org/browser/trunk/WebCore/page/Geolocation.cpp

I looked in Android's Git repository and it appears that the Android
repository doesn't (yet) include WebKit's Geolocation implementation:

http://android.git.kernel.org/?p=platform/external/webkit.git;a=tree;f=WebCore/page;h=41b57623a2343e387a4126b0f5e44b826a10408f;hb=refs/heads/master

According to a Twitter user, Google gave a demo of geolocation in the
Android browser at the Future of Mobile conference:

 http://twitter.com/geekyouup/status/1009624011

  "#FOM Android browser gives access to location info thru google
gears mobile"

I searched the Google Gears source tree and found this code:

http://code.google.com/p/gears/source/browse/trunk/gears/geolocation/AndroidGpsLocationProvider.java

http://code.google.com/p/gears/source/browse/trunk/gears/geolocation/gps_device_android.cc?r=3007

It appears that Google Gears for Mobile is coming to the Android
platform.

The Gears Gelocation API is nice but I'd really like to see support
for the W3C Gelocation API.  I hope the W3C finalizes their work soon.

Sean