Thanks Dianne.

Should I be holding a wakelock in the pendingintent receiver of the
alarm (basically acquiring at the start of the onReceive() and
releasing at the end)?  All I am doing in the receiver is setting off
a notification - I am not creating any other intents or accessing any
other threads or services.

Cheers,

Adam