On Dec 9, 3:29 pm, Dianne Hackborn <hack...@android.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 11:51 AM, JP <joachim.pfeif...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > 3. That also put the nail in the coffin of me using Android as a
> > personal device. At long last, I went back to Symbian (I continue to
> > develop on Android, of course). Don't get me wrong, I like Android,
> > and Gingerbread looks really good, but I just can't seem to be able to
> > get over certain things related to Android and Google, in particular
> > the eagerness to wanting to "share my location"... Call me paranoid,
> > but I just like things certain ways.
>
> If you are that paranoid, you can make your own build of Android with
> whatever restrictions you want (for example not allow certain apps to ever
> get location information) and run that.
Interesting project but no time for that right now

> Google's privacy policy is to never share your location with them unless you
> explicitly approve.
To me, Google is not nearly transparent enough to make this a
compelling argument. You hit the problem right on the head: Why go
down the policy bunny trail, when there's a solution that organically
meets expectations? There's plenty of examples where the policy-and-
processes approach just didn't pan out over the long run. Right off,
PFC Manning and the near fiasco at Clear (the registered traveler
program) come to mind.