AHH!  This latest update to Android SDK v8 has made my life hell.

1. The change that makes the compiler fail when strings have multiple
formatter specifications (%d, %s, etc.) without position arguments
(%1d, %2s, etc.) is new.  This means that ALL PREVIOUS TAGS/BRANCHES/
ETC. IN THE REPOSITORY HISTORY WILL NO LONGER BUILD.

> The app will build but then crash during runtime because of the
> missing libs.

2. Confirmed that this is a bug, introduced in Android SDK Tools
revision 8.  The Ant builds no longer work with external libraries.
Interestingly enough, if you build your project in release mode with
debuggable="false" in your manifest, the ProGuard obfuscation step
will include your external libraries and you won't see this problem.
However, when ProGuard isn't used, you'll see this problem. Andreas,
I'm not sure where you added that line <path refid="jar.libs.ref" />.
I need to make this fix in the build.xml file, not in the Android SDK
Tools directory, because this change needs to work on all of my team's
machines and the build machine.  I'll try to find a solution and post
it here.

--
Matt