On Fri, Dec 10, 2010 at 8:08 PM, neuromit <stuart.lay...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Right but I was going that there would be a standard set of  that
> would get piped to the user specified default player.

ACTION_VIEW on a Uri to some media file should work for that.

> so if this standard set of intents doesn't exist how do default
> applications work? If I want to send a sms from my app it can launch
> the default Messaging app without even knowing what that default app
> is.

There is a custom scheme (smsto:) for SMSes, to go along with ACTION_SENDTO.

If you want to play some file (e.g., MP3), ACTION_VIEW on it should
work, AFAIK. And that is about it with respect to generic Intents
relative to media playback.

--
Mark Murphy (a Commons Guy)

Android App Developer Books: http://commonsware.com/books