On Sun, Dec 12, 2010 at 11:10 AM, Brill Pappin <br...@pappin.ca> wrote:

> Since Eclipse validates the XML, I've had a few problems adding elements
> for for 2.2 in a 2.1 build.

You should be building against the latest platform version you plan to
support. When it runs on a device with an older version, new, unrecognized
tags are ignored.

> I still want the 2.2 elements for those using it, but it needs to fail
> gracefully so that users still on 2.1 just ignore the tags.

That's the way it works ...

> At the moment, the XML schema's won't allow you to do that. If the new
> manifest elements don't fall back (if the schema's are not updated to allow
> the new elements) its going to make developing in anything but the most
> recent SDK impossible.

Huh?

> Unfortunately we can't assume that all users will (or are able) to update
> to whatever is latest.

Of course not - with how fast Android gets updated and how slow (or
reluctant) carriers are to updated, it seems there are always going to be a
good number of people running "an older version".