You can store the images locally in your /data/data/<package name>/
directory or [preferred] an sd card directory. I believe WebView has
security restrictions on loading file:/// images and files from an
html page if the originated and loaded directly from the web. But if
you download the html file first and then load it using something like
mWebView.loadUrl("file://" + pathToHTML)  it should work fine.
See my project for some examples on this where I load some files from
the assets directory and others from the sd card.

http://code.google.com/p/retain-android/

-ryan