I have created an app that sends intents among multiple activities.
After doing some research i have found that the ActivityUnitTestCase
class is designed for unit testing while the
ActivityInstrumentationTestCase2 is designed for functional testing. I
understand the use of methods such as setUp(), tearDown(), and
testPreconditions(). However i am having a little difficulty in trying
to figure out what type of user-defined-tests to create in the previously
mentioned classes. I know that there are a few methods that cannot be
called in certain classes.

To be more specific, if i am in activity A and i click a button then
it calls startActivityForResult() which starts activity B. I then send
an intent back to activity A which is handled in the
onActivityResult() method. How can i test that the actual result in
onActivityResult() is equal to the expected result?

Is there some sort of mock dependency for interaction between multiple
activities?
And if so how do you create mock dependencies?

I have been looking extensively for any kind of examples that would
help clear up this confusion. I have seen the Demo APIs on the
developer.android.com
website but they are rather limited.  If anyone could provide any assistance
would greatly appreciate it.