I'm up in Canada and it's almost impossible to get hardware up here...
things that could easily be sold aren't for no apparent good reason than
that the company that released the product didn't think to put it through
their Canadian reseller channels.

However, sometimes we do get the good stuff that you folks down in the US
don't.

The first thing I'm about to try is talking to some of the smaller carriers
up here (we have several new ones:  http://mobilicity.ca/
 http://www.windmobile.ca/ ) to see if they will set up a developer package
where we can open an account with them, and buy phones from them. It would
be to both our advantage.

So, next plan of attack; I was thinking it might be helpful to set up some
sort of developer buying club, maybe using PayPal escrow to get devices into
the hands of the people that need them. Not sure exactly of details, but I'm
getting very tired of not being able to purchase something, simply because
someones order page won't accept a canadian address, or their shipping deal
doesn't cover canada (you'd be surprised how often those are actual
reasons).

I'm thinking that people could buy phones and ship them to others, maybe for
a small fee or something the details could be worked out.
Admittedly, at this point most orders would go from the US outward, but its
possible for things to come back the other way (like some of the cool stuff
that comes out in Europe and never sees the light of a North American day).
I know there are many companies here in Toronto that would be interested int
he idea as well.

Is anyone else interested in setting up some sort of dev buying club to get
devices where they need to go?
If you are, send me a "Reply to Author" and include your location. If I can
get enough people we'll set up a private discussion on how this should be
organized.

Also, if you know a better way, or some way that already exists, I'm not
into reinventing the wheel, so let s all know :)

- Brill Pappin