Well, our perception of Eclipse is 180 degrees from mine. I'm curious, what
did you meant by "beast"?

In the OP you asked about setting breakpoints right in the code. In Eclipse
debugger (and just about every GUI debugger, including Firebug) you just
double click in the left margin of the source code line to set a breakpoint,
which is indicated by a small dot in the left margin. When the breakpoint
fires, Eclipse highlights that line. From there you can inspect variables,
the stack, etc. and step through the code. I've debugged with the command
line before, but once I started debugging with Eclipse, Visual Studio, and
Firebug, I would think that having to use a command line debugger is
painful.