I've solved the issue with small labels on the google maps on hdpi
screens.

You need a bit of reflection (see the snippet of smali code below):
class com.google.googlenav.map.MapTile {

.field public static final TEXT_SIZE_DESKTOP:B = 0x0t
.field public static final TEXT_SIZE_LARGE:B = 0x3t
.field public static final TEXT_SIZE_MEDIUM:B = 0x2t
.field public static final TEXT_SIZE_SMALL:B = 0x1t

.field static textSize:I
}

Setting static field textSize to constant value  TEXT_SIZE_LARGE at
the end of onCreate method makes a miracle - labels on the maps become
large enough to read easily.
Note: you need to clean application cache to kill old map tiles.