I think the Places API is still in limited developer preview.

You could use the ajax api for a local search:
http://code.google.com/apis/ajaxsearch/documentation/#fonje.  Not too
difficult, but probably not 'learning level'.  Beware if you use this
as it was deprecated last month.  The replacement is the Custom Search
API......still in Labs with a limit of 100 searches per IP address per
day.  Oh, you need to sign up for a key to use that btw.