I had thought that it was something to do with the alarm manager
because moving the call seemed to fix things.  Turns out things are
actually still broken.  Now I'm checking to see if moving my function
from Service.onCreate to Service.onStart fixes things.  Seems to work
so far except that it can't connect to the internet when the phone
first wakes up.