A while ago someone was asking which tablet they should pick up for
development.
I thought I'd input another two cents now that I have something to compare.

So, I have managed to get my hands on a new Galaxy Tab and a new G Tablet.
Short answer on which is better, go with the Galaxy Tab even though its
twice the price.

The G Tablet is heavier (but also much larger; 10" as opposed to 7") than
the Galaxy Tab so that is to be expected

However thats not were the problem arises.
It seems that in their infinite wisdom, ViewSonic decided to invent their
own UI for the G Tablet and hook up their own market.
The customized UI is so far from standard that its painful to work with...
it almost makes me emotional and angry when I have to use it.... i'm not
kidding...
Things just don't work as you expect them to.
ViewSonic seems to think you are going to use this thing for what they want
you to, and nothing else. I assure you that the moment you don't need a
stock OS installed for test your software, your going to try and replace the
ROM on this thing, just to make it a useful device.
It's also missing the Market but most of you already knew that.
The hardware is good for the price, but the killer is ViewSonics attempt to
make a better mousetrap. They failed terribly. very.

The Galaxy Tab is a work of art almost as good as an iPad. It's smaller at
7" than the iPad or the G Tablet, but I'm finding that is actually a good
thing and its mostly a pleasure to use (Even fits in a large cargo pocket).
So far my biggest complaint is that they have introduced a few modified
versions of things like the Email client and the clock... The Email client
its not bad, but they removed some key features that are making me curse
hourly. Not much actually crashes (as it does on the G Tablet) but those
few things are still a pain. It's the little details that they
missed putting the Galaxy Tab software together that I'm having trouble
with.  Some of those detailes are important to a device you control with
your finger.
The modified Calendar app is much better than the stock and so is the
Contacts app. Most other apps are standard.

So, my recommendation;
- You *will* be disappointed in the G Tablet. You will want to flash the ROM
within 30 seconds of trying to do anything with it.
- Go with the Galaxy Tab even though it will cost you twice as much. It
works as you expect and is actually a very sexy device (it's even started to
replace my iPad as my primary device with only Netflix missing from my
preferred apps).

To top it all off, my first app in the Market is n IME. However, the G
Tablet will not allow another keyboard to be enabled over the one they
provide. The new ones show up in the settings, but the UI prevents them
being enabled.

- Brill Pappin