I'm in the design process of a new app, and I'm mulling over the
possibilities for the user interface. My app will need to communicate with
my web server (or a web service) for almost every interaction it has. The
app will need to occasionally send GPS information to the server, and on
rare occasions it will need to take a picture and send it to the server. Of
course, it always needs to respond to the actions of the user, and it will
need to use the information passed back from the web server (or web service)
and display the results to the user.

So the question on my mind is how much can I rely on the web view for
interacting with the user? If Android supported ASP.NET or something
similar, then it would be possible to use the browser for almost anything I
need, and that would be very handy because it would mean that I could easily
make changes, and add new functionality by simply updating the web pages.
However from what I've seen and read so far, it seems the capabilities of
the Web View are quite limited for client side processing.

My main question is this: Is there a way to use any of the Android system
functions from a web page? If I could have an android app that has a couple
of buttons on the top and say, Location permissions, and then uses the rest
of the screen for a web browser, and the web page would be able to access
the GPS information somehow, it would be very powerful.

Can anyone comment on this or direct me to some good information that I can
read for myself.

Has anyone else attempted to use Web pages as the main user interface for
their apps? It would be handy to see what others have done if there are some
apps already out there.

Sincerely,

Brad Gies

Brad Gies

27415 Greenfield Rd, # 2,

Southfield, MI, USA

48076

Moderation in everything, including abstinence