The message you get running apkbuilder is a bit misleading I agree.

I've been very tempted to simply remove the tool but I'm sure that
would annoy more people.

The issues is that apkbuilder (the script) is just not maintained at
all because neither Ant, nor Eclipse use it.

With the introduction of library project, this final step in build
android applications has become more complex and requires more
parameters to be passed to com.android.sdklib.build.ApkBuilder. Since
the default build system doesn't use the apkbuilder script, we haven't
added all those new parameters to apkbuilder.

At this time we simply don't have the resources to support people who
want to use their own build system, but we really wish we could. In
many ways we try to make it easy on other tools vendor by clearly
separating logic to eclipse or ant specific code (hence the multitude
of jar files everywhere in the tools and in ADT), but this is not one
of them.

The biggest issue would be to extract the logic to deal with library
projects and package that with sdklib somehow (there's a lot in ADT
and in the Ant custom tasks right now) so that we could build a new
ApkbuilderMain that can handle libraries somewhat automatically.

Unless someone is willing to contribute this, it's unlikely to happen
for a while (if ever) though.

Xav

--
Xavier Ducrohet
Android SDK Tech Lead

Please do not send me questions directly. Thanks!