So I spent the last four hours on setting up a 32-bit Ubuntu 10.10 (inside a
VM VirtualBox) as pointed out by above mentioned guide and I ran into the
exact same problems.

Make this a *wasted* four hours of development time >:(.

Considering the fact that the first user post regarding this
problem<https://groups.google.com/d/topic/android-platform/sLuZETFYk2M/discussion>dates
 back to September 28, 2010, this means the documentation is pretty
much useless for now already three months.

Please, maintainers of Android, don't treat us users like this! Time is
money. Moments like these let users feel abandoning a project. I don't want
to start over setting up a 64-bit Ubuntu, just to find out that yet another
undocumented setup detail made me waste another four hours.