While I'm not necessarily "more experienced with Android or perhaps a Google engineer"....

It's kind of a weird call to begin with. On a mobile device (and not only) the network connection can go bad or completely disappear at any time.

Even when this call properly works, it can't predict the future or make promises that it can keep.

I'd recommend you check ConnectivityManager to see if it's even worth it to start a network conversation, then handle IOException in case the connection goes away or was bad to begin with.

-- Kostya