On Thu, Dec 30, 2010 at 5:56 PM, Indicator Veritatis <mej1...@yahoo.com>wrote:

> Well, in a certain important sense, yes, 2.0 is 'obsolete'.

Well, it's more like in the "official" sense.
http://developer.android.com/resources/dashboard/platform-versions.html
"* *Other: 0.1% of devices running obsolete versions"*

2.0 would fall into the "other" category.

That is, most of us should develop using the latest Android 2.3 SDK, but
> continue to develop applications that will run well on 2.0, 2.1 and 2.2
> devices. Unless you need new bug fixes or new APIs available only in a later
> SDK, I would even say it should run on 1.6 devices.

Agreed - mostly. Hell, I still support 1.5 - but that's 6.3% usage,
according to that chart, which is still a pretty good number.
There are enough platform version X screen size configurations to worry
about with wasting time on one that's no longer really a consideration.

> PS: after seeing the Dashboard, I decided testing against 2.0 is
> less important than I thought at first. But the conclusion above stands:
> we should still test against it. I will be keeping my 2.0 AVD, I just won't
> spend much time on it now that I see how few 2.0 phones there are out there.
> But I will still use it for quick testing before new releases.

If you want to be that thorough, props to you - personally, I think it's a
waste of time. Particularly with the OP simply trying to run a sample app.