My 4 core AMD 64-bit machine running Windows 7 loads a 2.2 AVD fast
(haven't tried a 2.3 on it yet) and responds like an Android device.
In fact I did video demos of my apps on it with the emulator and
CamStudio. It will even play video files on the SD card image.  I
develop on an Ubuntu machine with a 2.4 ghz P4 and plan to upgrade to
a 64-bit machine for Ubuntu this year which will make things a little
spiffier.