((bangs head on keyboard)).

I've been trying to convince people that an incomplete font is BROKEN
and not worthy of shipping with a system for 20 years. And I've spent
way too much time mixing and matching incomplete fonts trying to get a
complete font.

I going nuts right now because for some reason, since the last time I
edited the Japanese version of my strings.xml, Japanese text started
showing up in Eclipse as square boxes. At first I tried using MS
Mincho for everything, but it really isn't very readable for non-
Japanese characters.

I have managed to get it working again by downloading the Japanese
localized messages for Windows 7, but that really should not be
necessary. The FONT doesn't take up a lot of space, but all that
localized text (which I probably will never use) does take up a lot of
space.

Given what you're trying to do, I don't have a better idea (other than
submitting it as a bug and encouraging people to vote for it -- I'd be
the first in line!). The existing browser is broken (by the broken
platform fonts). You're supplying a fixed version.

Of course, if you have a set of publicly-distributable unicode fonts
you can contribute to the platform, maybe you can convince them to
make it a required part of the platform.

But for your immediate needs -- I think you're going to need to treat
this as a porting project, rather than an SDK project, as you'll be
working with platform sources that aren't set up to build against the
SDK. You'll need to ask questions about getting it built on the
porting list.

You'll also need to change the package name, as you won't be able to
install it as a replacement (because of the different signing key).

Given the size of the Indian and other Asian markets, supporting
Tamil, Telegu, etc seems like a real easy decision to make.

And given that free translation services are readily available,
anyone, anywhere, at any time, may find themselves looking at some
Tamil text, recognize it as at least being foreign, and send it off to
be translated. Nobody, anywhere, anytime, wants to see perfectly good
human-readable text rendered as blank rectangles! Tamil is much
prettier to look at.