That is what I've been trying to do, below is the service definition
in my AndroidManifest.xml file

    <service android:name=".MDService" android:process=":remote">
        <intent-filter>
                <action android:name="com.episode6.android.carolla.MDService"></
action>
                </intent-filter>
        </service>

And I bind the service in my activity with the following call...

bindService(new Intent(MDService.class.getName()), mConnection,
Context.BIND_AUTO_CREATE);

And whenever I run unbindService(mConnection); the service still gets
destroyed.