This is probably a "newbish" question but let's say i'm in Thread B
and I need to do something on my UI Thread (Thread A) but it's
critical that B doesn't continue to execute until A has gotten around
to actually handling my request.

We can start off with something like this:

mThreadA_Activity.runOnUiThread(new Runnable(){ public void run()
{ mThreadA_Activity.DoSomeWork(); } } );

If i understand correctly, that will post a message into Thread A's
message queue and when it gets around to it, it will run
"DoSomeWork()" but that whole call is asynchronous so it'll return
immediately....

...but i want to wait for that call to actually go through. What are
some ways of doing this?