On Jan 14, 1:32 am, Saj TK <saj.dr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Well, what i really wanted to do is delete the Media file from the memory
> location and write some encrypted data to the same location. I have to make
> sure that i m writing to the same location, not anywhere else in the card.

To do this task on the removable SD card memory, you would need to
unmount
the filesystem, read some sectors of the filesystem directly to
determine where
the files are located, and write new data to the same sectors
directly.

I am pretty sure that none of this is do-able within Java/Android code
on the
dalvik VM.  It would be fairly straightforward as a native Linux
process, but you
generally need the root of the device to create such processes,
especially
if other programs have access to the SD flash memory you are trying to
unmount.

It would be even harder to do this on the internal (system) memory,
because
it is where the system itself is stored, so unmounting it would
basically
require a specialized kernel or kernel module that could stay in RAM
during
the operation.

This sounds like a security type of application.  You mention
encryption, as
though you're replacing a file with its own encrypted contents.  Of
course, a
bunch of random bytes in the same sectors would work as a secure
shredder.

However, SD flash memory is not all built alike, and even direct
sector access
is not enough to guarantee you have made the files unrecoverable.

Media security is a devilishly complicated topic, and many people
convince
themselves they can do it effectively while many others find glaring
loopholes
that bypass the implementation easily.

Good luck on your endeavor.  I think you have a steep uphill
challenge.