It seems that Display.getOrientation() probably returns the same
constants as the new Display.getRotation(), i.e. Surface.ROTATION_n,
and that it *does* potentially return all 4 values.  Good.  It's
unfortunate that this information was removed from the docs when
getOrientation() was deprecated: could it be re-instated?  I now
cannot understand why Google Maps gets its compass pointer wrong half
the time, but I'm glad I discovered that now, rather than while
actually trying to use it for navigation!