On 01/16/2011 12:21 PM, Zsolt Vasvari wrote:
I agree.  A "smart" user wouldn't complain in the first place about
not having the "Move to SD card" option for a 1MB app.

Opinion: It would be nice if the "Move to SD card"-function could detect that the application requests for instance BOOT_COMPLETED or has a widget etc and inform the user that those functions will no longer work as expected if the move is completed. This assumes that the application isn't installed on the SD by default and that the user understands the warning so I'm not really holding my breath for it.

I guess the best you can do as a developer is to detect that the app is running from SD and inform the user about the drawbacks on the next start. Hardly ideal, but better than nothing. At least the explanation can then be very specific as opposed to what a generic function would have to state.

As with many apps, it is not obvious that the automatic startup or widget function is a critical function of the application, it may just be a nice frill that is seldom used (I know my self that I really only ever use ONE widget and that one has no other function than being a widget - it shows the next few calendar items).

                My few cents / Jonas