Back to this question again.
As I said in my original message, I'm working from the SampleSyncAdapter
example program.
Currently, it mostly works, but I don't understand the flow of control, OR
how to do certain operations.

Currently, if I start my app on a "clean" emulator, it prompts me for the
userid/password and connects to my server.
That works.
Now, I want to be able to Logoff, so that the next time the app tries to
access the server, the user will be prompted for Userid/Password again.
That doesn't work.
It seems to go into an infinite loop in my code calling
AccountManager.getAuthToken(), which invokes my run( AccountManagerFuture)
method, but since the token is null (actually, so it account name and type),
it gets the Account using getAccountsByType(), and calls
AccountManager.getAuthToken()  again....

So, I'm definitely doing something wrong, and it would be helpful if I could
find a good description of how the Account system actually works.