Hi,

> Ah, I forgot, the phones don't yet have a light sensor. Too bad..

I think you will find some already do: eg Nexus S, Nexus One, Droid X
and others.

See http://developer.android.com/reference/android/hardware/Sensor.html

Here's a sample photo from Nexus S showing ambient light LUX, at
bottom of image see Lx640.0

http://commondatastorage.googleapis.com/static.panoramio.com/photos/original/46366464.jpg

The light sensor works but is pretty crude.

Regards