On Wednesday, January 19, 2011 12:01:01 PM UTC+6, kypriakos wrote:

> (1) isn't Android's native browser a main feature of the Android OS?

Its just an application. Vendors provide it for your convenience just as
they provide the phone dialer application if your device is a phone.
It is not a part of the OS. For example, Firefox is not part of your OS.
Internet explorer is neither a part of Windows nor a main feature.

I don't seem to find many people discussing it. Is Opera Mini or
> Mobile
> a more popular choice?

It depends. Each browser have some advantages and some issues. It is true
for desktop browsers also. There is no ultimate browser.
Latest Android browser scores a 93/100 on the
Acid3<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acid3>Test.

(2) Does anyone have details on how this browser is implemented

or where I can find that? Is it a derivative of the WebKit?

The web browser available in Android is based on the open-source
WebKit<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WebKit>layout engine, coupled with
Chrome <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Chrome>'s
V8<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V8_%28JavaScript_engine%29>JavaScript engine.

> (3) I am barking at the wrong tree regarding my issues above? Are
> there any other resources that I should be targetting to get

This group is exclusively for discussing issues with Android application
development. If you are looking to patch or know about OS related issues,
there is a google group named
android-platform <#%21forum/android-platform>

> I did try Ajax, Opera etc. but not much luck there either,

What problem did you face?

Regards
Sarwar Erfan