> I wonder whether it is possible to send NMEA sentences to the GPS (for
> an A-GPS purpose)?
No, there is no API on the application level.

>Or is there any other way to provide/inject
> assistance data to the A-GPS chip?
Assistance data support is part of the GPS library implementation and
it belongs to the HAL in the Android SW stack.
That means two things: not every Android phone has assistance data
support and that you can do this as part of the porting efforts which
is a completely different scale of task.

If you have an external A-GPS receiver (USB, Bluetooth) you can use so
called "mock" location provider - create your own provider, utilize
TCP/IP to exchange data with your server, use Android's location
providers, etc.  Looks like a perfect approach for any experimental
thing.