Also, I've tried just pushing a vanilla framework.jar and framework-
apk.jar (as built from the source) to the emulator. This didn't work
at first.
I found that it was looking for EGLImpl, and then pushed lib/
libandroid_runtime.so to the phone to fix it, and though it worked,
most of the applications would continue crashing? Any reason that
updating all or any of the files on the emulator would keep it from
running properly?

I've also tried running the emulator off the resultant system.img, but
that image is doesn't seem to have internet access.