I have 620 contact records that I maintain in GNOME's Evolution on
Linux.  My first attempt at getting them onto a T-Mobile G1 was using
syncevolution with Funambol and the Android Funambol client.  The
Funambol client is incredibly slow but I suppose that is an issue for
discussion at the Funambol client site.  More of a concern is that
when all of the contact records were loaded the built-in Contacts
application was unable to handle them.

The built-in Contacts application would load successfullly and display
the records however it was unusably slow.  After opening Contacts I
would get the "Sorry" dialog box indicating that the service was not
responding with the option to kill it or wait.  If I selected wait it
would evenutally respond but scrolling was unresponsive.  Although
Contacts didn't crash it could not preform its function as it would
not be useful to have such long delays when the use case is to place a
telephone call to someone in the contacts list.

So the question I need to answer is if the Contacts application was
not written with performance characteristics such that it can handle
620 contacts with a fast response time or if the Funambol loading of
records skipped some sort of important indexing operation.  Is anyone
have success with Contacts using 600 or more records?  If so were they
synchronized via Gmail or through some other conduit?