Hi all,

I want to write a simple app to read out SMS messages from my phone -- I
also want an ON/OFF setting which can be set through an activity.

The idea is that the activity is only launched to configure the shared
preference of ON/OFF.
A BroadcastReceiver or something similar which is in the background then
intercepts the SMS_RECEIVED intent and depending on the shared preference
either invokes the TTS engine to speak out the content or not.

I have written a BroadcastReceiver which receives the SMS_RECEIVED intent
and unpacks the data, but when I try to create an instance of the
TextToSpeech class I get an exception saying that a service can't be
started/bound from a BroadcastReceiver. I understand this is
because BroadcastReceivers are supposed to be short-running processes.

There is a hack I have seen on the forums which is used for com.google.tts,
this is the old TTS package which was used before TTS became a part of the
Android API.

I would like to find a solution which can make use of the official Android
API.

I think I may require a service for this task, if so, what would I need to
do to get this to work?

Best regards,

Alex