I don't really have a reason for synchronized being there; it was in the
original code and I left it intact.

I've since thrown all that code away and started from scratch. I can get the
callbacks to work in a new project, so I'm going to chalk it up to some
complication lurking beneath a bunch of code I pulled in from the NPR app
and hacked apart.

Thanks for the help, I'll post back again if I learn anything further.

Jim